I love to send my taste buds on imaginary adventures, dreaming up tea-infused recipes that hopefully won't have my tea cup tumbling in defeat. While sipping a tangerine sencha tea at kyotufo, my mind quickly jumped back to the edible memories at a tea and cheese pairing class. As I recalled sencha's perfect pairing with goat cheese while sipping the tangerine blended steep, I envisioned a salad topped with goat cheese, slices of citrus and a sencha infused dressing.
A month later, the sencha switched to a matcha as I sipped the freshly whisked green treat from a favorite bowl. The bright, grassy powdered green tea could add an extra savory kick that the sencha couldn't bring to the table. After a quick trip to the market, I returned with the delicious bits to bring my tea salad to life.
Within minutes, my Mixed Green Salad with Goat Cheese, Orange Slices and Matcha Dressing found its way onto my fork. Each bite was grassy, savory, refreshing and bright with just a touch of richness from the creamy goat cheese. Thrilled to discover that my recipe wasn't a culinary frankenstein creation, I anxiously entered it into the About.com Matcha recipe contest, and jumped for joy when I got word that it was the winning entry. Such an honor! So, give this tea-infused recipe a spin and let me know if it hits a sweet spot in your tea-infused world.
- 1 teaspoon DoMatcha Organic Ceremonial Matcha
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons agave (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 1 orange (half to be sliced for salad and other half for 1 teaspoon of juice)
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese
- Add 1 teaspoon of matcha to a small bowl or cup and mix with 1 teaspoon of hot water to make a matcha paste.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil and 2 teaspoons of agave (or honey).
- Slice the orange in half and squeeze a teaspoon of the juice into the matcha dressing.
- Add pinch of sea salt to the matcha dressing and stir well.
- Add mixed greens to a small bowl.
- Peel the remaining half of the orange, cut into small slices and place over greens.
- Break goat cheese into small pieces and place on greens.
- Pour matcha dressing over greens, orange slices and goat cheese.