Fall may only be days away but I'm still singing sweet summer sounds while sipping this Iced Matcha Paloma with ruby red grapefruit juice, lemon juice, basil, American Tea Room sweet matcha and organic cane sugar. Try the recipe below or visit any American Tea Room cafes in California to try it at the bar (note mint will take the place of basil at cafe). It was a treat to work with them to develop this limited edition recipe.
Why "Paloma" - consider this a riff on traditional Paloma recipe (grapefruit juice, sugar) swapping tequila for matcha and adding some herbs for a bright note.
- 6 tablespoons (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) fresh squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoons raw organic brown cane sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
- handful basil leaves, roughly chopped (plus basil for garnish)
- 1 tablespoons pre-sweetened ATR matcha
Add grapefruit juice, lemon juice, sugar, basil and water to a cocktail shaker or glass jar with lid. Sift in matcha powder. Seal cocktail shaker or jar. Shake for at least 60 seconds to blend matcha and infuse basil flavor. Add ice to large glass that will hold 10oz+ liquid. Strain drink into glass. Garnish with basil and grapefruit slice and serve immediately.
Want to make this ahead of time and amp up the basil flavor? Mix grapefruit juice, lemon juice, sugar and basil in airtight container. When ready to serve, sift in matcha powder and shake. Pour over ice and serve.